Director: Lisa Freeman, DVM, PhD
Dr. Freeman is a board-certified veterinary nutritionist and is active in teaching, research, and clinical care of patients at the Cummings Veterinary Medical Center. She enjoys working with faculty, staff, and students from across the university through the Tufts Institute for Human-Animal Interaction, the Tufts Elephant Conservation Alliance, and the Tufts CTSI One Health Program. In her spare time, she visits eldercare facilities and student stress relief events (including at Tufts) with her registered therapy dog, Penny.
Associate Director: Deborah Linder, DVM, MS
Dr. Deborah Linder is a board-certified veterinary nutritionist, a Research Assistant Professor at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University and Associate Director of the Tufts Institute for Human-Animal Interaction. She has had articles appear in Eating Well, the Boston Globe, AARP, SHAPE, and XM Sirius Radio Doctor Channel. She has spoken at national and international conferences and a Capitol Hill briefing, and is an expert in pet obesity, nutrition communication, and in human-animal interaction. Her recent research includes the impact of animal-assisted interventions on childhood obesity and child literacy.
Associate Director: Megan K. Mueller, PhD
Dr. Megan Mueller is the Elizabeth Arnold Stevens Junior Professor and assistant professor of human-animal interaction at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and is a senior fellow at the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life. She works in the Center for Animals and Public Policy and is the Associate Director of the Tufts Institute for Human-Animal Interaction. Dr. Mueller’s research focuses on how relationships with animals can promote healthy children, families and communities through pet ownership, animal-assisted therapy, and animal-based community programs. Dr. Mueller’s work on human-animal interaction has been published in numerous scientific journals, and featured in popular media outlets such as Scientific American, ABC News Radio, National Public Radio, and The Huffington Post.
Board of Advisors
- Associate Professor, Chair, Department of Occupational Therapy
- Dean, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Director of the Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development, Eliot-Pearson Department of Child Study and Human Development
- Professor and Chair, Department of Mechanical Engineering; Center for Engineering Education and Outreach
- Director, Center for Animals and Public Policy; Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Associate Professor, Chair, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy; Associate Professor, School of Medicine; Scientist II, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
- Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life; Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering